Moroccan Role: WOW...this was way over-due.

Moroccan Role

A Totally Kiler Music/MP3 Blog.

Friday, August 18, 2006

WOW...this was way over-due.

So, it's been over 2 months since I've done this. There are a number of reasons why I haven't blogged lately, but it has nothing to do with a lack of great new tunes. I've heard a ton of good stuff this summer and have seen some really great shows. Among the artists I've seen live over the past 2 months or so: Man Man & Danielson, Ghostface et. al. at Desdemona, Phoenix & the French Kicks, and Sound Team & Cold War Kids. If you ever get the chance to catch Man Man perform, do not miss these guys. They are insanely good live; frenetic on-stage energy coupled with the fact they all can actually play. I saw them opening for Danielson a little while back and the dudes absolutely blew them out of the water...Danielson came across like completely bookish nerds (looking downright silly in those little uniforms) who were in the unenviable position of following the BEAST that is Man Man. Phoenix and the Cold War Kids are both very talented live bands who played impressive sets, but Man Man's live show is simply in a league of its own.

I've decided to post a little blurb about some albums I've been enjoying lately and a couple of MP3s to sample. I plan to resume updating the blog regularly, so keep the CDs and emails coming. I listen to every CD I receive, but I only open a few of the emails a day due to the sheer volume.

I'm From Barcelona - Let Me Introduce My Friends



I had never heard this 29 member collective prior to reading the Pitchfork Review and I've only been listening to the album a little over a week now, but it is revealing itself to be one of best indie-pop albums of the year so far. These Swedes do not rely on their outrageously large roster as some sort of gimmick; they stick to penning catchy pop ditties with melodies that burn in your brain long after you've stopped listening. HIGHLIGHTS: "Collection of Stamps", "We're From Barcelona", "Treehouse"

MP3: I'm From Barcelona - "We're From Barcelona"
MP3: I'm From Barcelona - "Collection of Stamps"

Buy the album here.


Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther



Like many others, I first encountered Midlake via Gorilla vs. Bear and their great single, "Roscoe". This Denton, TX five-piece have a sound reminiscent of '70s AOR; warm, folk-aware, guitar-driven mid-tempo rock. Midlake often garner comparisons to Fleetwood Mac and this is quite accurate, but I would add the caveat that they sound more "masculine" in comparison to FM's often estrogen-laced feel. HIGHLIGHTS: "Roscoe", "Head Home", "Young Bride"

MP3: Midlake - "Roscoe"
MP3: Midlake - "Head Home"

Buy the album here.

Ratatat - Classics



I usually don't care much for instrumental albums. It usually takes me quite a long time to warm up to a band or album with no vocals, but this album grabbed my attention almost immediately. This electro-rock duo have crafted one of the year's most crushing riffs on the thunderous "Lex" and have placed themselves as front-runners in the "Best Use of an Animal Noise" category via the infectious "Wildcat" and its sweet cougar roar sample. This is really great driving music here people-- not only because it gets the blood pumping so effectively, it also sounds so hip and modern that you feel like the coolest person on the road with it blasting. HIGHLIGHTS: "Montanita", "Lex", "Wildcat"

MP3: Ratatat - "Wildcat"
MP3: Ratatat - "Lex"

Buy the album here.

Girl Talk - Night Ripper



This album virtually came out of nowhere and knocked me on my ass. Pittsburgh native Greg Gillis created this work, which is definitely the most enjoyable mash-up CD I've yet to hear. This album relies on samples from nearly every genre of popular music: hip-hop, 80s pop, indie/alterna/classic rock, and countless others. Provided he's not residing in a jail cell for crafting this highly illegal work (kidding), Gillis will surely have no shortage of artists approaching him to collaborate in the near future. This is a great party album and as Pitchfork noted, "the soundtrack for Summer '06". HIGHLIGHTS: "Smash Your Head", "Minute by Minute", "Bounce That"

MP3: Girl Talk - "Smash Your Head"
MP3: Girl Talk - "Bounce That"
MP3: Girl Talk - "Hold Up"

Buy the album here.

Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson in Crime (EP)



In just 7 songs and 16.3 minutes, these dudes from Toronto have got the indie-rock world buzzing and have effectively demonstrated some serious potential. All of these tracks clock in at about 2 minutes and rock with the urgency of the early Strokes. They guys employ amphetamine-fueled garage rock riffing, tasteful keys, and earnest singing with good melodies on this very promising EP. I'm definitely looking forward to a full-length from this band-- as you will be upon hearing them. HIGHLIGHTS: "Nature of the Experiment", "Citizens of Tomorrow", "Be Good"

MP3: Tokyo Police Club - "Nature of the Experiment"
MP3: Tokyo Police Club - "Be Good"

Buy the album here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home